HYROV Hybrid Roving Materials
The basis for the innovative hybrid roving materials is a process for the highly flexible, continuous and effective production of hybrid rovings and hybrid tapes.
The processing of the matrix fiber and reinforcing fiber rovings is realized via an electronically controlled gate for the exact adjustment of the thread tension of each individual roving. The resulting constant roving tensile force and the spreading technology developed by Cetex enable homogenous mixing of the fiber rovings into a hybrid roving or tape with fully stretched roving filaments - without the use of compressed air.
The hybrid materials are not thermally fixed, whereby a classical textile processing in all possible applications such as, for example, braiding, wrapping, weaving, ... will be possible. Components with complicated shapes and Tailored Fibre Placement (TFP) structures can also be realised.
Through the homogeneous mixing of the reinforcing fibers with the matrix fibers short flow paths and thus a rapid impregnation can be realized.
The system technology enables a completely free combination of reinforcing fibers and matrix fibers to make application-adapted hybrid rovings and tapes. In collaboration with the manufacturers of the reinforcing fibers and the matrix fibers, tests were carried out to define optimal fiber-matrix combinations for different fields of application.
In October 2020, a cooperation agreement was concluded between Cetex Institut gGmbH, The Filament Factory GmbH and thermoPre ENGINEERING GmbH for the development, production and marketing of hybrid rovings.
This means that the end user can not only be supplied with the materials adapted to the application, but can also be offered the engineering for later component applications including the prototyping of the FRP components.
Within the framework of the agreement, the process is to be further developed by the project partners in a network and transferred to series production. These joint activities form the basis for many years of intensive cooperation in this new field.
- The hybrid roving materials consist of at least two different homogeneously mixed roving materials.
- The material can be either as a single roving or as a tape.
- Roving materials are all materials that are in fiber form.
- Material combinations:
- reinforcement fiber - reinforcement fiber
- reinforcement fiber - matrix fiber
- matrix fiber - matrix fiber
- reinforcement fiber - metal fiber
- fiber mass contents between 30 % - 60 %
- Lower energy requirements and lower costs during production
- Filaments of the hybrid roving produced are stretched and homogeneous, which means full utilisation of the mechanical properties
- Parallel production of several hybrid rovings possible
- Low fibre damage
- Flexible combination possibilities of different roving materials (also metal fibres)
- Use of bio-based systems for reinforcement and matrix fibres
- Textile character enables the laying of complicated component geometries
- Coating is possible depending on the application